Apprentice Maintenance Operations Assistant (Level 2) at Gordano School
Working as an Apprentice Maintenance Operations Apprentice in the school Facilities Team you'll be undertaking a varied role, including some carpentry/ joinery work. Your remit will include a range of duties including in-house repairs and maintenance around the school site, undertaking health and safety risk assessments, taking delivery of goods and equipment, tidying the school site, ad-hoc cleaning duties, security and escorting contractors on site.
Overview of tasks:
- To support the Multi-Skilled Maintenance Technician with all in-house repair and maintenance work and planned building works as required
- To assist in carrying out health and safety risk assessments, before the commencement of all repairs and maintenance works to ensure the safety of the post-holder and others, and ensure safe working practices and observance of the school's Health and Safety policies at all times
- To take delivery of stores, goods and equipment and distribute as appropriate throughout the School, maintaining records and completing paperwork as required
- To assist with the general tidiness and safety of outside areas e.g. the removal of litter and graffiti; to keep surface drains free of obstruction; to ensure pedestrian access in periods of severe weather conditions, treating main entrances and paths with salt/grit as appropriate
- To assist with cleaning/janitorial/porterage duties when required
- To assist the Facilities Manager and facilities team with the security of the premises, with regard to locking and unlocking, setting security alarm systems and carrying out security checks as necessary. Once trained, on occasions be responsible for the locking and unlocking of school buildings for external lettings outside of normal school hours and to liaise with hirers during the hire period
- To report building and furnishing and fittings deficiencies which need a contractor's services to the Facilities Manager
- To escort contractors and others to sites of repair and maintenance, monitoring the safety of their working practices, reporting any apparent failures to the Facilities Manager
- To take part in any INSET training or job review procedures provided
- To carry out such other duties as are required and as are commensurate with the grade of post
This is not an exhaustive list and some changes to both the Job Description and duties may occur.
Gordano School has a reputation for success that is based on hard work and high standards. We are proud to be a comprehensive school and value the success and achievement of all our pupils whatever their ability, background or interests The school became an Academy in July 2011 and is also a specialist Technology College and Leading Edge School. We are a proud member of the North Somerset Teaching Alliance and were designated as a National Teaching School in September 2013 In April 2012 Gordano was judged to be Outstanding in all categories in an Ofsted inspection. The reason that we are outstanding is the quality, commitment and integrity of our staff.
- Intermediate qualification in Construction Maintenance Operations (Level 2)
- Full on the job training and support from your team, manager and mentor
- Day release to Weston College's South West Skills Campus
- Regular visits from your College Assessor
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities (ERR) workbook
- Functional skills in Maths and English - if applicable and depending on your prior attainments
Possibly securing a full time position upon completion of the apprenticeship.
- Commitment to completing the apprenticeship and obtaining a formal qualification
- Physical fitness and the ability to work at heights and to work in all weather conditions
- Good communication skills with people at all levels and from a variety of backgrounds
- Excellent time-keeping
- Ability to quickly build an appropriate rapport with staff, students and parents
- Demonstrate good attention to detail
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- Able to work flexibly as part of a team
- Able to deal professionally with contractors, visitors, students and School staff
Applicants for this role should have GCSES (or equivalent) in the A*-C or Grade 9-4 range.
- DIY experience e.g. painting & decorating, repairs and use of basic power tools
- Proven ability to communicate and to present information clearly and concisely both verbal and written
- IT literate including a good working knowledge of MS Office
- Good organisational skills, to be able to prioritise work and meet deadlines
- An interest in DIY tasks
Bristol, BS20 7QR
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship