Thanks for visiting our Construction page. Here you'll find all the information you need to know about the construction courses we offer.
For more information on a specific course, please use one of the search options below.
You could have a successful career in the construction industry with one of our qualifications...
At Weston College we focus on teaching you the hands-on skills and theory work that employers in the sector have told us they are looking for. You'll learn from lecturers with all the relevant skills and qualifications that makes them experts in their fields, many of them come straight from the industry and are ready to share with you all the tips that will help you succeed in the industry.
Skilled construction workers are in demand. Building and construction trades are an important factor in the South West's economy, making up 10% of total employment nationwide. In the Bristol and Somerset area there are many upcoming construction projects that will require new tradespeople with recognised qualifications, including Hinkley Point C.
Skills in construction are useful skills to have. Not only are there plenty of jobs in the construction industry, your construction skills are useful outside of the workplace. Dependent on the skills you specialise in, you could complete your own maintenance and repair jobs - and you could even use the skills to your advantage and become self employed in the industry.
A construction qualification can lead to a successful career and high-paid jobs. Entry-level jobs in the construction industry pay between £13,000 and £24,000 a year, but with further experience and qualifications you can expect to earn between £30,000 and £80,000 a year as you learn to specialise in an aspect of construction. At Weston College our construction courses cover a variety of subjects and topics. You can start at Level 1 and progress all the way up to studying at degree-level at University Centre Weston, which means you have the chance to become highly-trained and qualified, and access the best-paying jobs.
Why choose us?
- Course content. At Weston College you'll receive a good balance of practical and theory-based sessions. Our courses have been created to give you the skills, knowledge and relevant qualifications you'll need to begin a career in the construction industry.
- Reputation. We’re one of the top colleges in the country, which means you can expect outstanding teaching and support to help you succeed. Many of our construction lecturers have come from the construction industry and will be able to give you in-depth advice and guidance about your future career.
- Success rates. Weston College's success rates are consistently above national benchmarks, which means that you can expect high-quality courses that teach you the skills you'll need to be successful.
- Our facilities. As a construction student you'll be studying at our £14 million South West Skills Campus, with access to workshops, computer suites and a range of other facilities designed to help you get the most out of your studies. You can find out more about the College’s campuses here.
- Our links with employers. We work with many construction companies across the region to provide you with opportunities for work placements and to ensure we're teaching you the skills that they look for when they recruit new employees.
Search Construction courses
Search Courses by Keyword:
Select a Course:
The construction industry is one of the fastest growing sectors in the UK.
Currently, over 26,000 people are employed in the building and construction trades in the West of England - and this figure is set to rise by 14% by 2020.
There are a number of nationally significant developments happening in the Bristol area over the next decade. This means that there will be at least 15,000 jobs available in the region to people with construction qualifications, a number that could increase dramatically due to the amount of infrastructure projects happening in and around North Somerset.
The biggest growth will be in the plumbing and electrical installation sectors, which will see a big boost due to projects such as Hinkley Point C and the electrification of the main train lines between London and Bristol.
What could you earn?
Construction salaries are influenced by experience, role in the sector, the type of construction that is involved, as well as the geographic location. The following information is taken from the average yearly salaries of the 1,894 construction jobs advertised in the West of England in 2015:
- Bricklayers and masons - £30,000 to £49,000
- Carpenters and joiners - £30,000 to £49,000
- Civil engineers - £30,000 to £49,000
- Electricians and electrical fitters - £20,000 to £29,000
- Other construction occupations (inc. plastering, maintenance, etc.) - £15,000 to £29,000
- 55% of the workforce is employed in manual occupations
- 37% of the workforce is self-employed
- More than 35% of people in the sector are their own boss running their own businesses
It's easy to apply...
You can apply online for any of our Construction courses in a matter of minutes by selecting the course you’re interested in from the drop-down menu at the top of this page and clicking ‘apply now’. Alternatively, you can find an application form at the back of our prospectus.
There has never been a better time to apply for one of our Construction courses - and if you apply now you can secure your place on the course you are interested in. Submitting an application isn’t a binding decision and if you change your mind, you can always withdraw your application at a later date.