- Checks alignment of metal parts using spirit level and plumb-rule.
- Arranges for or undertakes bolting and welding of metal parts.
- Directs hoisting and positioning of girders and other metal parts and checks alignment.
- Erects ladders, scaffolding or working cage.
- Examines drawings and specifications to assess job requirements.
Typical Education Level
Level 3 NVQ; A Levels
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 9% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for steel erector is £28,702
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 171. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for steel erector roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £28,702 per year. That is about £2,392 per month or £14.72 per hour. New workers generally start on £17,914, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £37,918
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 171 people are employed in the region.